Friday, August 21, 2009

Professionalism in Coaching makes Professional Coaches

One of the biggest things thats annoys me about youth sport coaches is the entitlement they think they deserve from holding the title of coach. I have witnessed coaches showing up for practice 5 minutes beforehand and wearing sweatpants with holes in them. Then, they get mad at the lack of respect the parents, athletes, or even other coaches have for them. This has to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and I have no mercy for these kind of coaches.

I would like to share something with you all that a professor of mine brought to my attention and has stuck with me ever since. What he said was: if we as coaches want our profession to be recognized as a professional, full-time position, that gets respect proportional to the amount of hours we spend in preparation and the magnitude of impact many of us have on youth athletes, we need to act professional first. Bottom line is that if we don't treat our position professionally, we should not expect others to view us as "professionals".

With that being said I'm sure many sport coaches are very happy helping out on a volunteer basis while they continue to work other jobs and live a happy live. Everyone appreciates the hard work volunteer coaches put in and we could never succeed without them, but I think in some cases they need to act more professionally in order to gain the recognition they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment