Sunday, May 31, 2009

Effective Nutrition

When someone comes to me and asks for nutrition advise, sometimes I get alarmed and even become hesitant. As a Strength and Conditioning coach, nutrition is definitely not my area of expertise, but I have tried to become more knowledgeable in this area of my field. A friend of mine showed me the work of Dr. John Berardi and I like everything I have seen so far. He has come up with some basic guidelines to follow in order to achieve your nutritional goals. Here are Dr. Berardi's "7 Rules of Good Nutrition":

1.) Eat every 2-3 hours, 5-8 small meals per day.

2.) Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3.) Each fruits and/or vegetables with every meal.

4.) Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat. Intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).

Dr. Berardi is very knowledgeable in the field of nutrition and I definitely recommend reading his work if you have questions about nutrition or dieting. To get more information visit Dr. Berardi's website at johnberardi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment