Friday, May 29, 2009

3 Mentors in 3 Weeks- Miami University Wrap-Up

As some of you know, I spent the last four days in southwestern Ohio, the same region I spent my four years of undergraduate study at Miami University. After many failed attempts, I decided it was finally time to go back and see some of my friends sill living in the area and reconnect with everyone. Over the 4 days, I split my time in Cincinnati and Oxford (2 days each). In Cincinnati I got to see a bunch of my friends and had a lot of fun going to a Reds game, taste of Cincinnati, and hanging out in Mt Adams. Much thanks to everyone who drove/housed me for the week.

While in Oxford, I also got to see many of my college friends and also some great coaches. It was my intention to go to Oxford and meet with Enrico Blasi, Men's Head Hockey coach. However, I never go that chance on this trip, hopefully sometime in the future I will get this opportunity because I truly respect how he has turned around the Miami hockey program into a National Powerhouse and think he has a great wealth of knowledge about coaching. Don't worry, I got another opportunity to meet with a mentor of mine who I used to work for, it's actually a staff of mentors (how lucky is that!). Everyone that works in the Miami University weight room taught me a ton of stuff during my senior year when I was an intern on their staff. Much of the knowledge in Strength and Conditioning I have today came from them, so I am very thankful. We had a great conversation about how the two schools handle similar challenges in the weight room, as well as some new up and coming training ideas, so my time with them was very valuable.

I appreciate you reading the blog and stay tuned next week for my 3rd mentor in 3 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment