Sunday, July 26, 2009

U.S. Obesity


So I've been tyring to go to the grocery store more often rather than eating out so much so I can start practicing what I preach on the nutrition side of things. Today, when I went to the grocery store I was looking for some potatoes in the frozen foods section so I could cook something up quickly later tonight. Yes, I know potatoes are not the best food you can eat in this world and they are starchy and blah blah, but I haven't had them in a while and so I felt like cooking some up.

Naturally, I checked by the vegetable label first. I saw some carrots (picked those up), beans, corn, etc. but no potatoes (perhaps because we could probably better classify potatoes under the carbohydrate family, but thats a whole different discussion). Anyhow, I looked farther down the isle and what did I see? A whole label for potatoes! That seemed very convient for me and I was very excited, I would have my last item in my cart and be ready to go home- what I saw in that freezer was astonishing...

The entire "Potato" section was different kinds of french fries! Different brands, different styles, different seasonings. I could not believe there was no where in the freezer section I could buy some seasoned potatoes, but french fries made up and entire two freezer food doors. I decided I was content with my purchases walked toward the register. With many thoughts going through my head at this point, I passed the "soda isle" (which is one isle all by itself). Now, I obviously don't want to be rude or offend anybody, but the soda isle was the busiest isle I saw today, and it was full of overweight customers. What I witnessed today during my grocery store extravaganza was an extreme lack of nutrition and at least two of Dr. Bohn Berardi's 7 Habits of Effective Nutrition (May 31st Post) being blatantly broken:

#5- About Fat Consumption- Fried foods are not a good choice when trying to control your fat consumption.

#6- Drink Non-caloric beverages- The soda isle was the most crowded in the store! See something wrong here???

Ok, thats enough ranting, I love grocery stores and I hope everyone had a great weekend. Thank you for reading and please check back tomorrow ( I promise there will be a post).

No comments:

Post a Comment